Monday 28 May 2007

New phrases...

I think it is just amazing how kids pick up not just words but phrases from us. Conor regularly comes out with phrases that sound so alien coming from a three year old. Playing in the sand with Nici the other day said "That should do the trick" when filling up a bucket of sand. Then this morning when I was trying to get him out to playschool said "Just two more minutes" when I told him we were leaving. I am constantly awed by his grasp on the english language and his ability to use such phrases in the right context. He is not just mimicing what we are saying he is able to use it properly. I'm sure all kids are the same but you only really notice these things with your own.

The flip side to this is trying to watch everything we say because he picks up ALL phrases. One classic is when stuck in traffic he starts shouting "move stupid woman!" from the back. He also knows all the "bold" words and constantly reassures me that he didn't say (insert expletive here). His poor father gets the blame for most of these words apart from the one classic "Holy Moses!" that his granny cusker was good enough to supply him with.

No comments: